Virtual service List
covid-19 pandemic Options
In March 2020 we made the decision to suspend all in person support during the outbreak. However, now that some time has passed and the cases have remained quite lower than initial estimates, we have decided to leave the option up to you if you are comfortable with in person support.
Currently, all Calgary hospitals are now back to allowing two support person into labour, delivery and postpartum units.
As the situation changes, our services are also constantly evolving. So for now, please see our virtual services below. If you are comfortable with in person support, please visit our regular service page here.
With much love,
Owner, Certified Childbirth Educator & Doula
Virtual birth support $650
Service will include:
- 2 virtual prenatal meetings where we will talk over any previous birth experiences, the hormones of labour, your birth preferences, how to talk to your care team, preparations for your home, breastfeeding or bottle feeding, postpartum recovery and the signs of labour. This is all part and parcel of our regular services.
- An extra virtual meeting where we will talk in depth about comfort measures for birth. We will teach your partner how to support you like a doula normally would. This is a class we have taught for the past couple years for those who weren't hiring a doula that we are now offering to ALL birth clients in lieu of us being there in person.
- As always, we will continue to offer phone, email or text support throughout your pregnancy to offer advice, support, information and resources.
- We will remain on call for you as usual and invite you to virtually contact us throughout labour when you have questions or need some calming words. As an example, this is ideally how it will work:
- you contact us as soon as labour starts and we talk about what's going on
- as early labour develops, you check in as needed for coping tips
- whenever something changes and you need answers - call on us
- after arriving at the hospital or birth centre and you get settled in - another check in and update
- any time you face a decision that you need to think on and want more support, ask for a moment to reach out to us so you can be sure in your choice
- while some may feel that they would literally want to sit on a video chat throughout the whole process, we think your labour will progress much better without feeling like you're under watch. And we have families stuck in our homes that we won't be able to escape for that long of a time! Your privacy is important and we will barriade ourselves in an undisturbed spot during a call.
- After birth, we will offer virtual meetings once you've settled in and need some assistance perhaps with feedings or other questions. We would love to hear about the whole birth process and how it went for you.
virtual postpartum support $25/hr
Before becoming trained in postpartum work, I had the misconception that it was a lot of practical/tangible work such as preparing food, doing the baby's laundry and washing bottles. After offering the service for over a year, I've realized that just like birth work, 90% of postpartum work is offering emotional support and providing education. We can still easily offer these support systems over a video chat! Imagine how freeing it will be to know that you'll have a quick reply with a warm face behind it. We can still give advice about a good latch, sleep cues, dealing with hormonal crashes and much more over one of these chats.
Our suggestion is to schedule in a 30 minute check in when you get up in the morning and another at the end of the day. $25 a day is cheap peace of mind knowing you have a professional to troubleshoot newborn care with.
Virtual sessions only. Classes can be completely customized to what you want to learn, when it's convenient for you! Cost is $45/hr up to a maximum of $300 for a full 9 hour course.
We offer these predesigned courses:
- Birth Basics - $125. This 3 hour course will cover only topics related to labour & birth. You will learn what happens during labour, how to cope with contractions, positions for labour, and more!
- Pregnancy & Birth - $300. This comprehensive 9 hour class will not only cover the birth basics, but also include nutrition for pregnancy, common pregnancy discomforts, prenatal testing options, possible interventions during labour, cesarean births, vaginal births after cesarean, and more! There is flexibility to break up this 9 hour class into 2 or 3 sessions.
- Labour Support 101 - $125. This 2-3 hour class will teach your birth team (partner, friend, parent, etc.) the importance of good support and how they can provide it. Who better to teach them how to support someone giving birth than a doula?! We will discuss the stages of labour, practice positions, go over support techniques and coach you on what to say (or not say!) ***This is a very popular class during this crisis where we teach you doula techniques to use in our place***
- Grandparents Class - $125. This fun class is designed to help grandparents-to-be learn the latest in newborn care. We know that you've done it before, but a lot has changed! Co-sleeping, attachment parenting, carseats, feeding and so much more! We will dispel myths and talk about how to best support your children as they become parents.
Babysitting for Birth
This service will carry on as normal. We don't want you to stress about your lack of childcare for your older children.
Need someone to watch your other children while you give birth? Whether you only need a couple of hours of help until family arrives, or if you need babysitting for the entire time, we can help!
- 2 VIRTUAL (can be in person if you wish) pre-birth meetings to discuss plans & get your children comfortable with us
- on call 24/7
- up to 8 hours of support for $450, additional time billed at $20/hr.